About the role of Volunteer Befriender
Demand for our befriending service is growing, as we receive more and more referrals from social services, GPs, concerned friends and families. To meet this demand we are keen to recruit enthusiastic and friendly new volunteers to work with our Volunteer Coordinators.
The role involves:
- Giving approx. one hour a week to visit and have a chat with an older person – maybe you could go out for a short walk or a local shopping trip
- Encourage your older person to join our activity groups
- If you like you can befriend someone with mild-moderate dementia – additional training will be provided
Responsibilities and requirements:
- Commitment to visiting an older person for 1 hour weekly for a minimum of 6 months
- Cheerful and friendly personality
- Good communication/listening skills
- Patience and understanding towards the needs of older people
- Attendance at our induction and relevant training
- Complete a full Disclosure Barring Service and character references check
- Commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity
What’s in it for you?
- Meet new people in your local community – get to know an older person as well a friendly team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff of all ages
- Have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re supporting an older person and helping them get the best from life.
- Get a full induction, relevant training and ongoing support from Link Age Southwark
- All reasonable expenses reimbursed
- Use and develop your skills to enhance your CV. We’re happy to write references for volunteers who have completed 6 months with us
- Have fun!
How do I apply?
We would be delighted if you are interested in joining us as a volunteer befriender!