About the role of Group Support Volunteer
We run around 20 groups for older people across our Southwark. These range from Singing Group and Computer sessions to Reminiscence and Gentle Exercise. We are looking for volunteers to help with setting up, serving tea and coffee, and tidying up. If you also have a skill or talent you would like to share with the group, such as card making or local history, that would be an added bonus!
For a comprehensive overview of our groups, check out our Group List here.
What’s in it for you?
- Meet new people in your local community – get to know older people as well a friendly team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff of all ages
- Share your skills to benefit others
- Have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re supporting older people and helping them get the best from life.
- Get a full induction, relevant training and ongoing support from Link Age Southwark
- All reasonable expenses reimbursed
- Use and develop your skills to enhance your CV. We’re happy to write references for volunteers who have completed 6 months with us
- Have fun!
Current group support volunteer opportunities
We are currently seeking volunteer support with two of our gentle exercise groups and a reminiscence group.
The exercise groups are for enthusiastic older people to get together and enjoy gentle exercises which are tailored to people’s abilities. The exercises are led by a specialist tutor. We are seeking volunteer support to:
- Welcome participants to the class
- Set out the chairs
- Keep a register of attendances
- Prepare and serve refreshments – this may include buying refreshments for which expenses are refunded
- Assist new participants with filling in forms
As the volunteer support you can also benefit from taking part in the exercises. The chair-based exercises are good for strength, balance and circulation and last for about an hour. The groups we need support at are:
- Kennington area, weekly on a Tuesday afternoon
- Peckham area, weekly on a Thursday lunchtime
The reminiscence group is for older people who love getting together for conversation and to reminisce on their chosen topics. We are seeking a like-minded volunteer who can support the existing lead volunteer on a Wednesday afternoon for two hours with:
- Setting up and clearing away activities
- Welcoming group attendees
- Preparing and serving refreshments – this may include buying refreshments for which expenses are refunded
- Socialising with group members and stimulating conversation
- Keeping a register of attendances
- Assisting with publicising activities within the venue to attract more participants
The group meets fortnightly and the older members meet on their own every other week. Therefore the new role could also involve taking on the running of the group on the alternate weeks if you would like to. It is a friendly group which is held in a public venue in the West Dulwich area.
How do I apply?
We would be delighted if you are interested in joining us as a group volunteer or if you would like to know more about the above opportunities please get in touch with Melissa, contact details below.