About the role of Transport Volunteer
One of the largest challenges for many older people in Southwark is access to suitable transport to help them get out and about and keep them connected with their local community. Services exist to help people get to hospital and doctors’ appointments, but for social events transport options are limited. This is especially challenging for older people whose mobility has become restricted or whose confidence begins to wane. Our volunteer drivers provide a highly valued service in the following areas:
- Transport to and from Link Age Southwark social and group activities.
- Transport to and from non-medical appointments and activities in the community, such as a hair-dressing appointment, collecting a pension or visiting a friend in a care home.
Volunteer drivers provide more than a car journey – they enable people to get out of their houses, and remain in touch with their local community, making and maintaining friendships.
Responsibilities and requirements:
- Own a car with a full and clean driving licence and suitable insurance cover (most insurance companies are charity friendly – we can help verify your care use if required)
- Ensure the vehicle you are driving is safe and legal
- Sufficient fitness to drive and inform Link Age Southwark about any issues athat may affect your driving ability
- Cheerful and friendly personality
- Patience and understanding towards the needs of older people, particularly those with mobility issues
- Attendance at our induction and relevant training
- Complete a full Disclosure Barring Service and character references check
- Commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity
What’s in it for you?
- Meet new people in your local community – get to know an older person as well a friendly team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff of all ages
- Have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re supporting an older person and helping them get the best from life.
- Get a full induction, relevant training and ongoing support from Link Age Southwark
- All reasonable expenses reimbursed
- Use and develop your skills to enhance your CV. We’re happy to write references for volunteers who have completed 6 months with us
- Have fun!
How do I apply?
We would be delighted if you are interested in joining us as a transport volunteer!