Link Age Southwark has been providing friendly volunteer support to older people across Southwark for more than 20 years. We currently have over 300 fantastic volunteers and we work with more than 500 older people. We combat isolation and loneliness and bring cheer to people’s lives, improving their health and wellbeing.
We provide one-to-one befriending, run over 20 activity groups across the Borough, provide practical support including light gardening or helping with small odd jobs in the home, provide volunteer transport and organise inter-generational work with local schools. We have specialist services for people with mild-moderate dementia. Our services are free to people in Southwark aged 60+ and our volunteers come from Bermondsey, Walworth, Peckham, Camberwell, Dulwich, Herne Hill, Nunhead and beyond!
Our services are ever-popular and we are always looking for more people to volunteer with us to bring cheer and improve the lives of older people in our neighbourhood.
For more information please see our latest impact report – available to download here
A short film about our work can be seen here
Our mission statement
Link Age Southwark works to improve the quality of life and the physical and mental health of older residents in Southwark.
We do this by:
- Recruiting and supporting volunteers to befriend older people and provide emotional and practical support
- Organising group activities in the local community.
We combat loneliness and isolation and enable older people to live fulfilling lives in their own homes for as long as possible.
Our board of trustees
- Katharine St John-Brooks Chair
- Adrian Greenwood Deputy Chair and Company Secretary
- Tim Roberts Treasurer
- Pat Cox
- Neville De Souza
- Kirsty Gould
- Nicholas Merriman
- Anne Sullivan
- Juanita Fan
- Lesley O’Mara
- Susan Sternglass-Noble
- Ted Salmon
- Ted Salmon
- Dame Tessa Jowell
- Gemma Juma Director
- Sue Yeomans Service Coordinator
- Bethany Holttum Service Coordinator
- Claire Street Service Coordinator
- Jennie Linnett Volunteer & Local Fundraising Coordinator
- Michele McKeown Volunteer Coordinator
- Meenaxi Chavda Dementia Project Worker
- Hilary Payne Dementia Project Assistant
- Michelle Sinclair Book-keeper